Varicose veins are very common with up to 40% of all adults in the UK being affected. Even though varicose veins are common, there are many unfounded myths surrounding the condition and its treatment. Here we discuss the most common misconceptions about varicose veins.
RELATED: What are varicose veins?
Varicose vein removal is painful and involves a long recovery
Here at Centre for Surgery, we do not offer varicose vein surgery as this has been proven to be an ineffective treatment with a high risk of complications. Recurrence rates after surgery can be as high as 40% five years after treatment. The National Institute of Clinical Excellence recommends minimally invasive options for the first-line treatment of the vast majority of varicose veins. We specialise in endovenous laser ablation, foam sclerotherapy and phlebectomy for fast and effective treatment of varicose veins. All of these treatments are safely performed under local anaesthetic and they are very well tolerated with a quick recovery. Patients can return to their everyday activities the next day after EVLA. Patients who have had phlebectomy should take it easy for the first three days after treatment to ensure good healing.
RELATED: Varicose veins recovery
Varicose veins will grow back after treatment
Traditional varicose vein surgery resulted in a very high recurrence rate for varicose veins with up to 60% of people being affected after 10 years. EVLA in contrast has recurrence rates less than 5% after 10 years. Using endovenous laser ablation for varicose vein treatment means that veins that have been treated are very unlikely to return. The application of laser energy effectively seals the veins helping to prevent their recurrence. EVLA results in very low rates of vein recurrence.
RELATED: Varicose Veins Surgery
Varicose veins are always noticeable
Although many types of varicose veins are visible beneath the skin as bulging and twisty veins, some varicose veins are not visible at all. Deeper varicose veins commonly cause symptoms including pain, aching and itchiness. Many types of veins can be commonly mistaken for thread veins leading many people to seek cosmetic treatment. In some cases, superficial thread veins can be a sign of underlying dysfunction in the deep veins. This is why it is important to have a duplex ultrasound scan to assess the function of the deep veins of the leg.
Varicose veins are only a cosmetic issue
Varicose veins can appear unsightly and may present a cosmetic nuisance without any functional symptoms. We would always recommend having an assessment with a vein specialist if you notice bulging varicose veins beneath the surface of the skin. You may have underlying problems with the deeper veins of the leg then an ultrasound scan of the legs will be able to confirm this. Delayed treatment of varicose veins increases the risk of developing complications such as skin damage, venous ulcers or blood clots. Common symptoms of varicose veins include pain, fatigue, heaviness, aching, cramping, swelling and itching. All of these symptoms can be effectively relieved with minimally invasive varicose vein treatment such as EVLA.
RELATED: The treatment of varicose veins
Varicose only affects older people or those who are overweight
Varicose veins can affect people of all ages although it is more commonly found among older people. A raised body mass index above 25 does not increase the risk of developing varicose veins. However, existing varicose veins may become larger and cause symptoms.
Pregnancy causes varicose veins
Although it is commonly thought that pregnancy results in varicose veins, this is not correct. Scientific research has demonstrated no strong link between women who become pregnant and the later development of varicose veins. Pregnancy results in hormonal surges and increased blood flow which may cause certain pre-existing leg veins to become more visible.
Varicose vein treatment at Centre for Surgery
Centre for Surgery is home to the top vascular specialists in the UK and we are renowned as a centre of excellence for affordably priced varicose vein procedures that can be carried out on a walk-in walk-out basis. We have significant experience in endovenous laser ablation also known as EVLA.
- Our treatment philosophy is on offering minimally invasive treatments for varicose veins and thread veins for permanent removal.
- All treatments have little or no downtime with most patients back to their normal activities the next day.
- EVLA is the gold standard treatment for varicose vein removal as recommended by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence.
- Our consultation fees are reasonably priced and include a complimentary ultrasound scan of your legs as standard
- We treat hundreds of patients each year with success rates as high as 97%.
- Patient satisfaction rates regularly exceed 98% with many patients recommending their family and friends to us.
- Our vein specialists are internationally renowned and are regularly invited to deliver lectures on the latest advances in varicose vein treatment.
- Most treatments take no more than 60 minutes to carry out and you will be able to recover in the comfort of your own home later the same day.
- Best results are obtained by focusing on treating the underlying cause of your diseased veins. Duplex ultrasound scans are performed for every patient who comes to see us whether you have varicose veins or thread veins.
RELATED: How to get rid of varicose veins
Call us today on 020 7993 4849 or complete the varicose vein contact form below to book a consultation with an expert varicose vein specialist in London.
RELATED: Varicose Vein Treatment Prices