Steroids, the drug choice of some athletes, gym junkies and bodybuilders. But why? There are different forms of steroids called androgen steroids or anabolic steroids. They are used to increase the muscle mass and strength of one person. The main hormone the anabolic steroid forces your body to create is testosterone which promotes muscle building, helps you get them great gym gains. It will also increase the growth of hair and will make the voice deeper. It is also used to boost people’s performance; hence athletes are banned from using it. If they are found to be using it they will be banned or disqualified from what they are competing in. However steroids are also used for medical purposes, they are used for inflammatory issues like inflammation of the muscle and blood vessels.
Are steroids good for your body?
Any other steroids except the medical grade ones are not good for your body and they come with many side effects. Here are some of the effects they may cause.
Men may develop:
- Prominent breasts
- Smaller testicles
- Prostate gland enlargement
Women may develop:
- Deeper voice
- A larger clitoris
- A huge increase in body hair
- Irregular or no periods
Both men and women will experience:
- Severe acne
- Increase in tendonitis
- Liver abnormalities or tumours
- High blood pressure
- Heart problems
- Aggressive behaviour, rage and violence issues
- Dependence on drugs
- Increased risk of HIV or hepatitis if it is being injected
Despite this, people still use this drug to get the gym gains they desire. Why? There are other safe alternatives.
Alternatives to steroids
Many gym junkies turn to steroids because they are almost guaranteed to gain muscle quickly, but they don’t realise there are alternative and much safer ways to do that. One of the ways to do it safely is by eating correctly. By eating large amounts of protein and healthy foods it may help to promote the gain of muscles. Also working out regularly and steadily will also help to grow your muscles, this is because keeping fit will enlarge the size of the muscles, as well as your health. Supplements like shakes and pre and post workout drinks will also help to increase your performance safely. They will also help with your gym gains. There are also surgical options to help to give the look of the perfect gym body.
Surgical options include:
- Abdominal etching: this is a suitable option for those who already have a healthy amount of body fat and are wanting to appear more toned. Abdominal etching involves using PAL lipo to remove body fat, revealing more noticeable muscle definition. As this is not a debulking procedure, this is not suitable for those who have more than 2cm of fat.
- Fat transfers: fat transfers are often a popular procedure, as it allows you to have extra definition, without inserting a foreign object, such as an implant.PAL lipo is used to extract the fat, which is then processed and filtered. Next, the fat is injected back into the desired area, such as calves, abdomen or breasts. This allows you to have a natural looking body, without the use of any foreign objects.
- Implants: Centre for Surgery offers a range of implant procedures, including male pectoral implants and calf implants. An incision is made, allowing for the surgeon to insert the custom made implant. This will allow for you to have a noticeable increase in size in the pectoral or calf muscles.
Interested in surgery to improve your figure? Centre for Surgery currently offers abdominal etching, fat transfers and implants. Contact us today for more information or to book a consultation with one of our surgeons.