If you have been looking for the best varicose vein treatments in the UK, look no further than Centre for Surgery. Here at Centre for Surgery, we are home to some of the leading varicose vein specialists in the UK with access to the full range of minimally invasive vein treatments involving minimal downtime. Here we discuss the best vein treatments at our specialist varicose vein clinic in London.
RELATED: What are varicose veins?
Varicose vein treatments in the UK
We would recommend having a specialist assessment by a consultant vascular specialist to determine the underlying causes of your varicose veins. Attempting to diagnose varicose veins yourself is doomed to failure. The best way to accurately locate abnormal veins is with a duplex ultrasound scan as part of your varicose vein consultation. This will ensure any diseased veins are clearly identified and customised treatment recommendations can then be given which are suited to your needs and preferences. At Centre for Surgery, all consultations include a free ultrasound scan of your legs which usually costs £400 at other hospitals and clinics in the UK.
- The most popular treatment at Centre for Surgery for varicose vein treatment is endovenous laser ablation or EVLA for short. EVLA is regarded as the most effective varicose vein removal treatment and has been endorsed by the National Institute of clinical excellence. Success rates after five years exceed 96%. The treatment involves accurately localising the vein followed by inserting a laser fibre to heat up the vein. The vein then collapses and becomes naturally absorbed by the body.
- Sclerotherapy is an alternative option for varicose vein removal. Foam sclerotherapy is ideal for the treatment of larger veins. Smaller veins are better treated with liquid sclerotherapy. Both treatments involve injecting a chemical sclerosing agent into the varicose vein. An intense inflammatory reaction leads to the collapse of the vein followed by its eventual shrinkage and disappearance.
- Phlebectomy for vein removal involves making small incisions directly over varicose veins which lie just beneath the skin. A small vein hook is then inserted to gently remove the affected segments of the vein. The incisions are very small and there is, therefore, no requirement for stitches. Recovery is very quick after phlebectomy and offers instant results.
RELATED: Common myths about varicose veins
Benefits of varicose vein treatment at Centre for Surgery
- Minimally invasive outpatient treatments
- No requirement for general anaesthetic. All varicose vein treatments are easily carried out with just a local anaesthetic.
- Little or no downtime
- Most treatments take no more than 45 minutes to carry out.
RELATED: How to get rid of varicose veins
Varicose vein surgery involving surgical ligation and stripping of the affected veins is not performed at Centre for Surgery. Surgical varicose vein removal involves significantly more risks and a higher risk of complications. Recovery can be very prolonged and the success rates after varicose vein surgery are much lower compared with modern minimally invasive techniques such as EVLA. Centre for Surgery focuses on providing gold standard treatments for the best results. Our vein experts will assess you thoroughly at your consultation followed by recommendations on the best treatment or combination of treatments to effectively get rid of varicose veins permanently.
RELATED: Varicose Vein Removal London
UK Vein Specialists
All our varicose vein and thread vein consultations take place with an expert vein specialist and include an complimentary ultrasound scan of your legs to accurately localise the affected veins.
- Mr Mital Desai – consultant vascular surgeon
- Carrie Hancox – thread vein removal specialist practitioner
Will the NHS treat my varicose veins?
Although it may still be possible to get varicose vein treatment on the NHS, initial treatments may include making lifestyle changes and wearing compression stockings. These treatments may be recommended for up to 6 months. However, in our experience, we believe such treatment approaches are likely to lead to worsening of your varicose veins which could potentially result in skin discolouration or venous ulcers forming. The best solution is to obtain an early and accurate diagnosis of your varicose veins followed by EVLA or sclerotherapy for effective leg vein clearance.
Varicose vein treatment at the Centre for Surgery
Centre for Surgery is one of the leading clinics for varicose vein removal in the UK. Our vascular specialists have many years of experience in treating all types of varicose veins using highly effective and minimally invasive treatments. Our London varicose vein clinic has become a specialist centre for the treatment of all types of varicose vein problems including:
- Varicose veins that have become a cosmetic nuisance.
- Varicose veins causing symptoms such as pain, swelling, aching or itchiness.
- Veins that have developed skin discolouration or venous ulcers.
- Patients who have had unsuccessful treatments elsewhere.
- Varicose veins that have been previously treated by the NHS with minimal benefit due to the prolonged use of compression stockings.
RELATED: Varicose veins recovery
Why choose Centre for Surgery for varicose vein removal?
- Our vein experts focus on using minimally invasive techniques for getting rid of varicose veins and thread veins on the legs.
- Our treatments involve little or no downtime.
- Every vein consultation includes a free ultrasound scan of your legs which usually costs £400 at other clinics and hospitals in London.
- Endovenous laser ablation is regarded as the gold standard treatment for varicose veins with a success rate succeeding 96% after five years.
- Our treatment philosophy is based on identifying abnormal veins with duplex ultrasound followed by customised treatment for rapid elimination of varicose veins.
- Our experts regularly speak about the latest treatments for varicose veins at the most prestigious medical conferences.
- We carry out hundreds of vein treatments at our state-of-the-art London vein clinics each year.
- Most treatments take no more than 45 minutes to carry out and you will be able to go home as soon as the procedure is complete.
- Our London varicose vein clinics are located in Marylebone only a five-minute walk from Harley Street.
“Centre for Surgery has literally changed my life. I could not be happier with the results of my varicose vein removal!”
- Simon, varicose vein patient (EVLA combined with sclerotherapy)
Booking a varicose vein treatment consultation at Centre for Surgery cannot be any easier. Simply call us on 020 7993 4849 and speak to one of our friendly and knowledgeable patient coordinators. You can also complete the varicose vein contact form below.