Gynecomastia removal is a highly effective treatment for improving the appearance of prominent male breasts or ‘moobs’. Gynecomastia is also known as man boobs, and the best treatment is male breast reduction. In this article, we discuss the different types of treatment for gynecomastia as well as how to choose the best gynecomastia surgeon in London.
SEE ALSO: What is gynecomastia?
What is the best treatment for gynecomastia?
There are several treatment options for the best treatment for gynecomastia. Male chest reduction often involves a combination of surgical liposuction and gland excision for comprehensive correction and optimum contouring of the male chest. The exact type of surgical treatment will depend on whether you have a predominance of fat or glandular tissue.
RELATED: What are puffy nipples?
Male breast liposuction is a minimally invasive surgical technique for treating pseudogynecomastia which involves an excess of fatty tissue in the chest. Even in true gynecomastia where there is an excess of glandular tissue beneath the nipple, liposuction is still commonly performed as the first step in the treatment. Our surgeons normally use power-assisted liposuction to effectively break up the dense and fibrous fat in the male chest. The liquefied fat is then gently removed with vacuum aspiration. Liposuction for pseudogynecomastia is commonly carried out under a general anaesthetic, but in selected cases with minimal fat excess, a local anaesthetic may be appropriate.
In men with excess glandular tissue, the optimum treatment is surgical removal using an incision located around the lower half of the areola, also known as a Websters incision. The surgeon uses scissors and cautery to precisely dissect the gland away from the underlying chest wall muscle, followed by its removal. A small amount of gland tissue will be preserved beneath the areola disc to prevent a hollowed-out appearance to the nipple and areola. The incisions are then suited using absorbable sutures. In men with very extensive gynecomastia, the ideal treatment may be surgical breast reduction using the inferior pedicle technique. This type of breast reduction is commonly carried out in women with large and heavy breasts. Some men may prefer to have a minimally invasive treatment with liposuction as there are minimal scars with a liposuction-based technique followed by surgical excision approximately 6 to 12 months later if residual breast tissue or loose skin is remaining.
SEE ALSO: Best male chest reduction surgeon UK
The key to successful gynecomastia treatment is a thorough medical evaluation where the surgeon takes a medical history and carries out a physical examination, followed in some cases by an ultrasound scan to rule out potential malignancies or abnormal lumps and bumps. Although breast cancer can also occur in men, the risk is exceedingly rare and should be treated under the NHS ‘ 2-week rule’.
How to choose the best gynecomastia surgeon in the UK
It’s essential to make sure you choose the right clinic and surgeon for gynecomastia removal to ensure you get the best results following your surgery.
- Your plastic surgeon should have specialist expertise in treating gynecomastia using gold standard methods, including liposuction and gland excision. How to Get Rid of Puffy Nipples in Men
- It would be best if you viewed reviews and testimonials about the clinic, including reviews found on reputable platforms such as Trustpilot, Google and Facebook.
- It is helpful to look at male breast reduction before and after photos to give you an idea of what can be achieved with the surgery.
- You should confirm that the hospital or clinic is registered with the Care Quality Commission.
- The surgeon should be able to carry out all types of gynecomastia removal using both local anaesthetic and general anaesthetic. It would be best if you avoided clinics that only offer local anaesthetic gynecomastia removal.
- It would help if you enquired about the levels of post-operative care provided by the clinic, including whether a 24/7 service operates to ensure that any questions or concerns you may have in the male breast reduction recovery period are answered in a prompt manner.
- View our gynecomastia before and after photos
Why choose Centre for Surgery for Gynecomastia Removal?
Centre for Surgery in London is home to some of the UK’s most experienced male chest reduction surgeons. We are a results-based practice and specialise in treating all types of gynecomastia, including gynecomastia after massive weight loss. Our plastic surgeons are dedicated to providing the highest standards of medical care using gold standard medical techniques, including liposuction and gland removal. We have a large number of articles all about gynecomastia which you can find in our blog section on our website. You can also give a range of before and after male breast reduction photos. When you have a face-to-face consultation, your surgeon can show you an even more extensive selection of before and after gynecomastia photos. If you are keen to book a male breast reduction consultation with an expert surgeon, please call us on 020 7993 4849 and speak to one of our friendly and knowledgeable patient coordinators. We offer male chest reduction with liposuction at our state-of-the-art Baker Street clinic in London.