Breast Lift with Auto-Augmentation London & UK
Breast lift with auto augmentation, also known as breast lift with internal mammary artery perforator (IMAP) flap, is a combination procedure that involves both a breast lift and breast augmentation. It is a specialised technique that uses the patient’s own breast tissue to improve the shape and position of the breasts.
The procedure begins with a breast lift (mastopexy) which involves removing excess skin and repositioning the nipple and areola to a higher position on the breast. After the lift, the surgeon identifies and isolates the internal mammary artery perforator (IMAP) flap, which is a small amount of breast tissue and skin that is located at the breast crease. This tissue is then carefully elevated, repositioned and fixed to the upper pole of the breast to provide additional fullness and projection to the breast.
This technique can be beneficial for patients who have moderate ptosis (sagging) and would like to have both a lift and a slight increase in breast size. This can also be a good option for patients who have undergone weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding and have lost volume in their breasts.
It’s important to note that this technique is not suitable for everyone, and it’s always best to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best options for you.
Many women are keen to achieve a greater degree of fullness of the upper part of the breast without necessarily increasing the overall volume of their breasts with a breast augmentation. Our surgeons are experts in carrying out a breast lift with auto augmentation for optimum correction. The breast auto augmentation procedure utilises your own breast tissue to improve the shape of the breast. The procedure involves incisions similar to that for a breast lift followed by the creation of an extra incision known as a “V flap” incision which is made in the excess breast tissue. Before repositioning tissue, the excess breast tissue most commonly sits lower and is more droopy than normal breast tissue. The breast tissue, which is part of the “V flap”, is meticulously repositioned in a superior direction next to the chest wall muscle, which helps to improve fullness in the upper pole of the breast. The tissue forming part of the V flap is reattached to the chest wall to ensure that the newly created shape remains in the proper position. Once this is carried out, the breast tissue and the overlying skin is surgically resutured using the same lollipop or anchor scar technique associated with a traditional breast lift procedure.
Expected results after Breast Auto-augmentation
Breast lift combined with breast auto augmentation results in breasts that have a fuller appearance which sits higher on the chest wall, and have a firmer skin consistency which helps to optimise breast aesthetics and youthfulness. Compared with breast augmentation using breast implants, breast auto-augmentation is an entirely natural technique of breast augmentation without the need to use silicone breast implants.
The principle of the auto augmentation technique involves repositioning your breast tissue to create the appearance you desire. Our surgeons are recognised breast specialists who have helped to pioneer many of the techniques involved in breast auto-augmentation and are regularly invited to give lectures on the breast auto-augmentation procedure at national and international gatherings of plastic surgeons.
Benefits of a breast lift with auto-augmentation
Breast auto-augmentation is in many ways similar to a breast lift procedure however auto augmentation is considered more of a breast reconstruction procedure for patients who choose to have their implants removed. Breast uplift surgery is more appropriate when nipple repositioning is required, which optimises the appearance of fullness in the breasts and breast tissue is commonly left untouched. Breast auto augmentation utilises the principle of preserving the patient’s own breast tissue and surgically repositioning them to the upper part of the breast.
- Improved shape of breasts without the need for a breast implant
- Increased upper pole fullness without the need for breast implants
- Eliminate saggy breasts
- Ability to raise the level of the breasts into a more aesthetically pleasing position
- No implant-related complications
- Totally natural procedure as no artificial materials are used for implantation.
Choosing the best surgeon for breast auto-augmentation
Breast auto augmentation is a highly technical breast reconstruction procedure that is only performed by a handful of specialist breast surgeons in the UK. Only plastic surgeons who are subspecialists in breast surgery are able to carry out this type of procedure, and Centre for Surgery are pleased to have several expert plastic surgeons who specialise in breast auto-augmentation.
Breast Auto-augmentation specialist surgeons
Our breast auto-augmentation surgeons are known for their artistry and strive to help women achieve natural and beautiful-looking breasts. Our surgeons believe that the key to a successful outcome after a boob job is the surgeon-patient relationship. Before committing to proceed with a clinical decision for surgery, your surgeon will spend time getting to know about personal goals and preferences in detail. This might sometimes require a second follow-up consultation. Our surgeons provide the safest and most natural-looking breast implant procedures in London and the southeast.
After a detailed explanation of the various methods and discussion of the right breast implants to use at your consultation, your surgeon may perform computerised 3D imaging. The use of imaging provides a starting point to establish what needs to be achieved to reach the desired goal. A range of different implant sizes and types can be trialled. By visualising the potential outcome, you may have a clearer idea of what can be achieved and, thus more confidence in proceeding with breast augmentation surgery. Once you have all your questions answered, the surgeon will determine if breast augmentation is the right procedure for you. A detailed treatment plan will be formulated. This will be forwarded to your patient coordinator, who will then prepare your boob job quotation and discuss potential finance options if this would be of interest to you to help spread the repayments.
Our expert plastic surgeons are full members of:
Breast Lift with Auto Augmentation Procedure
Breast lift with auto augmentation is a surgical procedure that combines a breast lift and breast augmentation to lift and reshape the breasts while also increasing breast volume. Here is a general overview of the steps involved in the procedure:
- Anaesthesia: The patient will be given either general anaesthesia or IV sedation to ensure that they are comfortable throughout the procedure.
- Incision: The surgeon will make an incision around the areola (periareolar), along the breast crease (inframammary) or in a circular pattern around the areola and down the breast crease (lollipop).
- Reshaping the breast tissue: The surgeon will remove excess skin and reshape the breast tissue to lift the breasts and create a more youthful shape.
- Auto augmentation: During this step, the surgeon will reposition the breast tissue to create more fullness in the upper pole of the breast. This can be achieved by releasing the lower pole of the breast and moving it upward or by using a technique called dermal matrix.
- Repositioning the nipple and areola: The nipple and areola will be repositioned to a higher position on the breast to match the new position of the breast tissue.
- Closing the incision: The incision will be closed with sutures, skin adhesive or surgical tape.
- Recovery: After the surgery, the patient will wear a surgical bra to support the breasts and reduce swelling and discomfort. They will be advised to avoid strenuous activities and heavy lifting for several weeks to allow time for the incision to heal.
The procedure can take between 2 to 4 hours, depending on the complexity of the case. It’s important to remember that the recovery time can vary from person to person and that some swelling, bruising, and discomfort are normal after the surgery.
It’s worth noting that every patient is different, and therefore, the procedure may vary depending on the individual’s case, the surgeon’s preference and the desired outcome. It’s important to consult with a breast plastic surgeon to discuss your individual case, the risks and benefits, and the expected results.
Recovery after breast lift with auto augmentation
Recovery after breast lift with auto-augmentation surgery can vary from person to person, and it typically depends on factors such as the extent of the surgery, the individual’s overall health, and their adherence to postoperative instructions. Here is a general timeline and some guidelines for what to expect during the recovery process:
Immediately after surgery:
- After the surgery, you will be taken to the recovery room where you will be monitored closely by medical staff.
- You may experience some pain, swelling, and bruising in the treated area, which can be managed with prescribed pain medication.
- You will be given a compression garment to wear to help reduce swelling and support the breasts.
- It is important to rest and avoid any strenuous activities or lifting for at least the first week after surgery.
- You may need to take a few days off work, depending on your job requirements.
- You should avoid showering or bathing for the first few days, as advised by your surgeon.
- You may be able to resume light activities such as walking, but it’s important to listen to your body and not overexert yourself.
- You may be able to return to work and resume light activities, but you should still avoid any strenuous activities or lifting.
- Swelling and bruising may start to subside during this time.
- You should continue to wear the compression garment as advised by your surgeon.
- You may start to feel more comfortable and experience less pain.
- You may be able to resume some light exercise, but again, it’s important to follow your surgeon’s instructions and not overdo it.
- You may be able to resume most normal activities, but you should still avoid any strenuous exercise or lifting for a few more weeks.
- You should continue to wear the compression garment as advised by your surgeon.
- Swelling and bruising should continue to improve over the next several weeks to months.
- It’s important to follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions and attend all follow-up appointments to ensure proper healing.
- You should avoid any activities that could impact your breasts, such as contact sports, for at least 6-8 weeks.
- The final results of the surgery may not be fully visible for several months, as the breasts will continue to settle into their new shape.
What is breast auto-augmentation?Breast auto augmentation is a specialist type of breast reconstruction procedure that utilises the patient's own breast tissue to expertly reshape and reposition redundant breast tissue to the other part of the breast without the need for silicone breast implants. Auto augmentation is most frequently carried out on patients with breast implants removed. Breast lift surgery, in comparison, involves the removal of excess skin and repositioning the nipple and areola to a higher position on the breast.
To determine which procedure is most appropriate for you, we would advise you to book a consultation with one of our specialist plastic surgeons at our Baker Street clinic in London.
Can breast auto-augmentation be carried out instead of breast augmentation surgery?Breast auto augmentation is most commonly carried out for patients with breast implants removed. However, it can also be performed on patients who don't have breast implants, although this is unusual. This is because breast auto-augmentation surgery depends on having a pre-existing breast pocket that was formed to accommodate the breast implant. A breast pocket already created allows the surgeon to surgically reshape the breast and identify redundant breast tissue to reposition to the upper part of the breast. Patients who have not had a breast implant before will not have a breast pocket. In rare cases, a breast pocket can be surgically created as part of a primary procedure. However, this is a highly complex procedure that can only be carried out by a specialist breast reconstruction surgeon. For those patients who have not had breast augmentation surgery before but are open to having breast implants, breast lift surgery could potentially give you the result you are looking for.
To determine which procedure is most suitable for you, we would advise that you have a face-to-face consultation with an expert plastic surgeon at the Centre for Surgery in London. Your surgeon can advise you on the most appropriate treatment options after having taken a full medical history and carried out a physical examination.
When can I expect to see the final results of a breast-auto augmentation procedure?Immediately after the auto-augmentation procedure, most patients can expect an obvious improvement in the shape of their breasts. In the early period after surgery, it is common to experience a degree of swelling, which usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to settle down but can take up to 3 to 4 months for complete resolution.
At the six-week mark, you should be able to visualise the final results, but the full recovery period can take upwards of one year. Your plastic surgeon can give you expert postoperative advice following the procedure. It is extremely important to comply with all post-operative instructions to make sure that you get the very best possible results and reduce the risk of postoperative complications occurring.