Neck lift surgery is considered the most effective cosmetic surgery procedure to get rid of loose neck skin, sagging jowls and a turkey neck. Centre for Surgery is the leading cosmetic surgery clinic in London, and our consultant plastic surgeons regularly perform all types of facial rejuvenation surgery, including neck lifts. Here, we answer your most commonly asked questions about all aspects of neck lift surgery.
NECK LIFT BENEFITS
When do jowls start to appear?
Sagging jowls begin to appear around the age of 50 and are often associated with other signs of facial ageing, including wrinkles and loose skin. Jowls may occur earlier in those who smoke and spend excessive amounts of time in the sun.
What is the best way to get rid of sagging jowls?
A neck lift procedure is the best way to tighten loose neck skin and eliminate saggy jowls.
Can a neck lift tighten loose skin?
A neck lift is highly effective for getting rid of loose neck skin and achieving a tighter-looking neck.
What is the best way to get rid of a turkey neck?
A “turkey neck” is a term used to describe the appearance of loose, saggy skin on the neck that can occur as a result of ageing, weight loss, or genetics. There are several ways to reduce the appearance of a turkey neck, but the best approach will depend on the individual and the cause of the problem.
Here are some ways to get rid of a turkey neck:
- Surgery: A neck lift, also known as a lower rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure that tightens loose skin and removes excess fat on the neck. This can be a highly effective way to improve the appearance of a turkey neck, but it is also the most invasive option.
- Non-surgical treatments: Non-surgical treatments like radiofrequency therapy, ultrasound, and laser therapy can help to tighten the skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and sagging on the neck.
- Skincare: Using skincare products that contain retinoids, antioxidants, and other anti-ageing ingredients can help to promote collagen production and improve the elasticity of the skin on the neck.
- Neck exercises: Exercising the muscles on the neck can help to tone and strengthen the area, which can help to reduce the appearance of a turkey neck.
- Lifestyle changes: Making lifestyle changes such as maintaining a healthy weight, quitting smoking, and protecting the skin from sun damage can help to prevent the development of a turkey neck or improve the appearance of an existing one.
It’s important to consult with a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon to determine the best approach for you. Additionally, it’s important to have realistic expectations about the outcome of the treatment, as well as to consider the benefits and risks.
Can neck lift surgery eliminate wrinkles?
A neck lift can get rid of wrinkly skin affecting the neck for a smoother and tighter-looking neck.
What are the benefits of a neck lift?
A neck lift, also known as a lower rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure that improves the appearance of the neck by tightening loose skin and removing excess fat.
Here are some of the benefits of a neck lift:
- Improved jawline: A neck lift can help to define and enhance the jawline, creating a more youthful and attractive appearance.
- Tightened skin: The procedure tightens loose skin on the neck, which can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and sagging.
- Reduced “turkey wattle”: A neck lift can help to reduce or eliminate the appearance of a “turkey wattle”, which is a protrusion of skin and fat that can form on the neck as a result of ageing or weight gain.
- Improved self-esteem: Many patients report feeling more self-confident and satisfied with their appearance after a neck lift.
- Long-lasting results: The results of a neck lift are long-lasting, although the ageing process will continue, and the effects of the surgery may be lessened over time.
It’s important to keep in mind that neck lift surgery is not for everyone, and it’s important to consult with a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon to determine if it is the right option for you and to discuss the benefits and risks of the surgery. Additionally, it’s important to have realistic expectations about the outcome of the surgery.
What are the most common reasons to get a neck lift?
People most commonly choose to have neck lift surgery to get rid of excess skin and fat in the neck and lower face. A neck lift can also help to get rid of a turkey neck.
What are the alternatives to neck lift surgery?
There are several less invasive alternatives to neck lift surgery, including chin liposuction, fat-dissolving injections and Morpheus8. Radiofrequency skin tightening treatments such as FaceTite are suitable for people with mild signs of ageing affecting the neck.
RELATED: What is a non-surgical neck lift?
Will a neck lift make me look ten years younger?
A neck lift can make people appear up to 8 years younger with tightening of the neck skin and removal of excess neck fat.
Can men have a neck lift?
Yes. Neck lift surgery is equally suitable for men who develop sagging neck skin or a turkey neck
RELATED: Male Neck Lift
Can you get a neck lift twice?
The signs of ageing will continue after having a neck lift, and you may need a further neck lift approximately 5 to 10 years later to maintain the results of your initial procedure.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF NECK LIFTS – NECK LIFT OPTIONS
What are the two different types of neck lift surgery?
There are two main types of neck lift surgery:
- Cervicoplasty – this procedure is designed to improve the appearance of the neck with the removal of excess skin. A cervicoplasty is ideal for people with sagging neck skin due to significant weight loss or the natural ageing process.
- Platysmaplasty – this procedure helps to get rid of vertical neck bands affecting the neck by tightening weak neck muscles caused by the ageing process.
A mini neck lift can be performed in selected cases for people with mild features of ageing affecting the neck.
How does a neck lift differ from a mini neck lift?
A full neck lift is designed to get rid of saggy skin affecting the neck and lower face with tightening of the deeper neck muscles and elimination of excess fat. A mini neck lift is focused on removing small amounts of loose skin in those with only mild signs of ageing affecting the neck.
What is a mini neck lift?
A mini neck lift, also known as a “limited incision neck lift” or “weekend neck lift,” is a less invasive form of neck lift surgery that is designed to improve the appearance of the neck without the need for a full neck lift.
A mini neck lift typically involves smaller incisions, typically made behind the ears, and focuses on the removal of excess fat and tightening of the skin in the lower part of the neck, rather than the entire neck.
The procedure is usually performed under local anaesthesia or IV sedation, and the recovery time is generally shorter than a full neck lift. The procedure can also be done in an outpatient setting or in an office-based facility.
A mini neck lift is an option for patients with minimal skin laxity and good skin elasticity. It’s also a good option for patients who don’t need a facelift and only want to improve the appearance of the neck area.
It’s important to note that a mini neck lift may not achieve the same results as a full neck lift, and the results may not be as long-lasting. It’s important to have a candid conversation with a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon to determine if a mini neck lift is the right option for you and to discuss the benefits and risks of the procedure.
Can a mini neck lift tighten loose neck skin?
A mini neck lift is effective for the removal of smaller amounts of loose skin and soft tissue in the neck.
How do I decide which type of neck lift is best for me?
If you have more significant signs of ageing affecting the neck, including turkey neck, saggy skin and excess fat, then a full neck lift will be more suitable. A mini neck lift to reserved for mild features of ageing with otherwise good skin elasticity.
IDEAL CANDIDATES FOR NECK LIFT SURGERY
Am I suitable for a neck lift?
Suitability for a neck lift will be determined by several factors, including:
- Patients in a good state of mental and physical health with no chronic medical conditions such as diabetes
- Patients with realistic expectations of what results can be achieved with a neck lift
- Patients have saggy skin or wrinkly skin affecting the neck and jawline.
- Patients with a turkey neck
- All patients must follow the preoperative and post-operative instructions to minimise the risk of complications after surgery.
What is the best age to get neck lift surgery?
Ideal candidates for neck lift surgery are usually between the ages of 40 and 65 years of age.
Will I need to lose weight before surgery if I have a high BMI?
It would be best if you had a BMI below 30 and ideally below 28 to get the best possible results from neck lift surgery. Patients with a body mass index over 30 will not be suitable for a neck lift.
NECK LIFT PROCEDURE DETAILS
What is the best type of anaesthesia for a neck lift?
General anaesthesia is recommended for most types of neck lift surgery to ensure your comfort.
How long does a neck lift take to perform?
Neck lift surgery takes roughly 2 to 3 hours to perform, depending on the extent of surgical correction required.
What does a neck lift involve?
Once you have been placed under general anaesthesia, your surgeon will make incisions in the area of the neck position in natural skin folds. The loose skin is surgically removed before the remaining neck skin is tightened with stitches. Once the incisions have been closed with dissolvable stitches, a significant improvement in overall neck contour can be seen.
What are the risks of neck lift surgery?
As with any surgical procedure, there are risks and potential complications associated with a neck lift.
Some of the risks and complications of a neck lift include:
- Infection: As with any surgical procedure, there is a risk of infection. This risk can be minimised by keeping the incision site clean and taking antibiotics as prescribed.
- Haematoma or seroma: Hematoma or seroma is a collection of blood or fluid under the skin that can occur after surgery. This can be minimized by keeping pressure on the incision site and by not overworking the neck muscles after surgery.
- Scarring: Scarring is a common complication of any surgery and can be more visible with a neck lift. Scarring can be minimised by keeping the incision site clean and protected from the sun.
- Numbness or tingling: There is a risk of temporary or permanent numbness or tingling of the skin around the incision site.
- Asymmetry: As with any surgery, there is a risk of asymmetry of the neck or face, and this can be minimised by having a skilled and experienced surgeon.
- Unsatisfactory results: There is always a risk of not being satisfied with the results of surgery, and this can happen with a neck lift as well.
It’s important to have a candid conversation with a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon to discuss the risks and potential complications of the surgery and to have realistic expectations about the outcome of the surgery.
RECOVERY AFTER NECK LIFT SURGERY
What can I expect to feel after neck lift surgery?
It is normal to experience bruising and swelling in the early postoperative period after surgery. You may have a small drainage tube inserted on either side of the neck to remove excess fluid or blood. These will be removed the next day after surgery.
RELATED: Recovery after Neck Lift Surgery
How long does recovery take after a neck lift?
It takes between one and two weeks to recover from a neck lift. Any bruising and swelling during this period will gradually disappear. Final results can take up to 3 months to become visible.
What things can I do to get a fast neck lift recovery?
The following recommendations will help you get a quick recovery after neck lift surgery:
- Eat plenty of nutritious foods
- Keep well hydrated
- Keep your head elevated on two pillows when sleeping
- Sleep on your back
- Avoid vigorous activity
- Keep your surgical wounds clean
How long does swelling last after neck lift surgery?
Swelling after a neck lift can last up to a few weeks after surgery.
Will my ears hurt after surgery?
You may experience mild ear discomfort for a couple of days after surgery
How long should I wear a chin support after a neck lift?
You should wear the recommended chin support for the first two weeks after a neck lift.
What is the best sleeping position after a neck lift?
You should always sleep on your back for the first four weeks after surgery. Your head should be elevated on two pillows.
When can I sleep on my side after neck lift surgery?
You may sleep on your side after four weeks postoperatively.
Is neck massage beneficial after a neck lift?
Gentle neck massage is useful to soften scar tissue and reduce lumpiness. You should avoid exerting any pressure on the incision lines.
When should I apply cold packs after a neck lift?
You may apply cold packs for the first 72 hours after surgery for up to 15 minutes at a time, with a 15-minute break in between.
When can I wash my hair after a neck lift?
You can wash your hair two days after surgery with warm water and mild soap.
What is the best way to get rid of swelling after a neck lift?
You should sleep with your head elevated and regularly apply cold packs during the first three days after surgery.
Does neck swelling go away on its own after a neck lift?
Next swelling will gradually settle down after the first two weeks, although there may be mild swelling visible for up to 3 months.
How long should I wear the neck lift compression bandage?
You should wear the recommended compression garment for a minimum of two weeks after a neck lift.
Will my results be affected if I do not wear a compression garment after a neck lift?
Your neck lift results could be affected if you fail to wear the garment as instructed, as postoperative swelling can be exacerbated.
What is the best way to get rid of skin lumps after neck lift surgery?
Neck lumps can be gently removed with a gentle neck massage, and your surgeon will show you how to perform this.
When can I apply makeup after surgery?
You may safely apply makeup ten days after surgery.
How long does it take for bruising and swelling to disappear after a neck lift?
Bruising and swelling can take up to 4 weeks to disappear, and you may still have subtle swelling up to 6 weeks following surgery.
What are the best foods to eat after a neck lift?
You should focus on eating foods containing lean protein, including white chicken, fish, nuts, seeds, lentils and eggs.
Will I have scars after neck lift surgery?
All types of surgery produce scars, and neck lift surgery is no different. Neck lift scars are most commonly positioned behind the ears and in the posterior hairline on either side, with a small midline incision located beneath the chin.
RELATED: What do neck lift scars look like?
RESULTS OF A NECK LIFT
Is a neck lift permanent?
The results of a neck lift do not last forever. Although results can last up to 10 years or more in some cases, the continued ageing process will result in the formation of loose skin after a certain time.
How long do neck lift results last?
Neck lift surgery can produce results that last more than 10 years and up to 15 years in some cases when carried out by a specialist plastic surgeon.
Will I need a second neck lift ten years later?
You may need a second neck lift 10 to 15 years later once facial aging changes cause wrinkling, loose skin and jowls.
Will people be able to tell if I have had a neck lift?
When performed by an expert surgeon, a neck lift is designed to produce natural-looking results. Signs of a bad neck lift include pixie ears and visible incisions. A well-performed neck lift will result in incisions that are well disguised in the hairline and behind the ears.
NECK LIFT COST
Can I get a neck lift on the NHS?
A neck lift is a cosmetic procedure and is not performed in the NHS. You will need to fund the cost of treatment yourself by choosing a reputable private clinic in London such as Centre for Surgery.
How much does a neck lift cost in London?
The cost of a neck lift will be determined by several factors, including the type of neck lift and the extent of surgical correction required. Once you have had an in-person consultation, you will receive a detailed quotation from your dedicated patient coordinator. Call us today to get a rough estimate for neck lift prices.
RELATED: How much does a neck lift cost?
Neck Lift Surgery at Centre for Surgery
Centre for Surgery is a specialist plastic surgery clinic located in the heart of central London in Marylebone. We are home to some of the top facial rejuvenation experts in the UK. We carry out hundreds of facelift and necklace procedures each year at our state-of-the-art Baker Street clinic. Call us today on 0207 993 4849 to schedule an in-person consultation with a specialist plastic surgeon.