Breast implant removal surgery, also known as explant surgery, is a type of revision breast surgery designed to remove and replace breast implants. Many women may find they no longer wish to have implants, or they may have developed a complication from previous breast surgery, such as breast implant rupture or capsular contracture that requires the removal of breast implants. Surgery for capsular contracture may require an en-bloc removal. Recovery after breast implant removal can take up to 6 weeks, although this can differ as every woman heals differently. The final results of breast implant removal can take between 6 to 12 months to develop.
You should ensure you follow your surgeon’s preoperative and post-operative care instructions to ensure you get the best possible results after breast implant removal. Centre for Surgery is home to specialist plastic surgeons with years of experience performing all types of revision breast surgery, including en bloc capsulectomy.
RELATED: Breast Implant Removal & Breast Lift
Common reasons to have breast implant removal & explant surgery
Some common reasons for breast implant removal include:
- Capsular contracture, which occurs when the scar tissue surrounding the implant tightens and causes pain or changes in the shape of the breast
- Implant rupture or leakage
- A desire to change the size or shape of the implants
- A desire to return to one’s natural breast size
- A change in personal preference or lifestyle
- Development of an autoimmune disorder or other health condition as breast implant illness (BII), that may be related to the implants
- Psychological dissatisfaction with the implants.
How to prepare for breast implant removal to get the best recovery
Breast Implant Removal Surgery at Centre for Surgery
Centre for Surgery is a specialist cosmetic surgery clinic and is home to some of the most experienced consultant plastic surgeons in the UK. Our specialist breast surgeons have years of experience performing revision breast surgery, including breast implant removal and replacement. If you would like to learn more about the benefits of breast implant removal, get in contact with us today at 0207 993 4849 or complete the contact form below.
RELATED: How much is breast implant removal?