Puffy nipples are commonly seen in men who have gynecomastia. Gynecomastia is a common condition seen in men that results in the male breasts enlarging in size. The aesthetic appearance of the male chest can be aesthetically unpleasing, with many men developing a loss of self-confidence. Puffy nipples can develop at any time in life, with men being affected at all ages, including younger teenagers and older men in their 40s and 50s.
Why do some men develop breast enlargement?
There are several causes of gynecomastia which are most commonly related to an underlying hormonal imbalance involving oestrogen and testosterone. High circulating levels of oestrogen stimulate breast tissue to grow. The presence of oestrogen in men is a normal finding, but high circulating testosterone levels prevent the formation of excessive breast tissue.
As part of the diagnostic investigation of breast enlargement in bed, a hormonal profile may be performed to measure oestrogen and testosterone levels in the blood. Causes of male breast enlargement include:
- Age – older men have lower testosterone levels which predispose to the formation of male breast tissue
- Weight changes – overweight men are more likely to develop gynecomastia as higher oestrogen levels are found in fat deposits that overweight men have more of.
- Puberty – gynecomastia is prevalent during puberty when there is often a significant degree of hormonal imbalance.
- Prescription medications – several medications may result in the development of gynecomastia, including anti-reflux medicines and medicines taken to treat heart conditions.
- Chronic medical conditions – both chronic liver disease and kidney failure can result in the development of gynecomastia.
- Recreational drugs – steroids and cannabis are both recognised causes of enlarged male breasts.
- Gynecomastia is prevalent during the newborn period due to very high levels of oestrogen, which often pass from mother to baby. This type of gynecomastia is temporary and resolves entirely in virtually all cases.
RELATED: Patient Stories: John
Best treatments for gynecomastia and puffy nipples
Puffy nipples are commonly due to the presence of underline gynecomastia, which pushes the nipple outwards. In these cases, the best treatment is surgery to get rid of puffy nipples. Men who eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly may improve the appearance of the chest with a more toned appearance, but it’s not an effective treatment for the removal of puffy nipples. Centre for Surgery specialises in the most effective treatments for gynecomastia, including:
Liposuction using the power-assisted technique is one of the most commonly used treatments for getting rid of gynecomastia. The specially designed vibrating cannulas help to effectively break up fibrous tissue and fat, which is commonly found in the male chest region. The fat cells are effectively separated from their attachments prior to removal with vacuum extraction.
RELATED: What is Vaser liposuction?
Many cases of gynecomastia will require surgical removal of the glandular tissue using a small incision positioned in the bottom half of the areola. This is also known as a Websters incision and is a minimally invasive technique for the complete removal of glandular tissue. The male gland tissue cannot be removed with liposuction alone. Surgical removal of big glands will require a general anaesthetic for complete removal and ensure your comfort during and after man boob surgery. Most surgeons will use a combination of liposuction and surgical removal for comprehensive gynecomastia correction.
BodyTite for Gynecomastia
Radiofrequency skin tightening using BodyTite is a highly effective treatment for gynecomastia. A specialised probe is inserted beneath the skin before the surgeon applies radiofrequency energy to gently heat up and melt the fatty tissue underneath the skin. The thermal energy applied also helps to contract the skin with the production of new collagen and elastin.
The BodyTite procedure is an add-on to the liposuction and surgical excision of gynecomastia for men who are not keen on surgical skin removal. Surgical skin removal for chest wall laxity can involve significant scars, and BodyTite can achieve effective skin contraction without the need for more invasive surgery.
Male chest reduction at Centre for Surgery in London
Centre for Surgery is the UK’s leading cosmetic surgery clinic and is home to some of the most renowned gynecomastia surgeons in the UK. We treat hundreds of men each year with all types of gynecomastia, from mild to severe. By choosing Centre for Surgery for your male chest reduction, you can be assured of receiving the higher standards of medical care to ensure you get the very best male chest reduction results.
RELATED: Is Gynecomastia Surgery Worth It?
- All-inclusive pricing with no hidden extras
- Your very own dedicated patient coordinator to support you at all stages throughout your patient journey with us
- Our plastic surgeons are recognised as some of the best gynecomastia surgeons in London in the UK.
- Our after-care program has been described as outstanding by the Care Quality Commission.
- Our post-operative nursing team are available around the clock for any questions or concerns you may have in the gynecomastia recovery period.
- Our theatre nurses are highly trained and have worked with us for many years, ensuring our surgeons are well supported during their procedures.
SEE ALSO: How to get rid of man boobs?
Please get in touch with us today to book a face-to-face gynecomastia consultation with an expert plastic surgeon at our state-of-the-art Baker Street clinic in central London.