Most of us are vaguely familiar with liposuction and what it involves – it removes fatty deposits from the body, leaving patients with a more defined, sculpted body. However, there is now a new technique for liposuction, known as SAFElipo. SAFElipo is commonly used at Centre for Surgery and our surgeons are well trained in the SAFElipo technique.
What is SAFElipo and how is it different?
SAFElipo is a method of liposuction that was developed by surgeons at Centre for Surgery. SAFElipo eliminates the use of heat, therefore reducing the chances of swelling and bruising afterwards, as well as any damage to the skin and body cells.
The complete elimination of thermal energy sources:
SAFElipo is applicable for both primary first-time liposuction and revision liposuction, making it ideal for those who have had previous procedures they are unhappy with. The versatility of the technique has resulted in SAFElipo becoming the standard technique for all liposuction procedures at Centre for Surgery.
How does SAFElipo work?
Unlike other forms of liposuction, SAFElipo is a multistep process, with liposuction being just one of the steps. These steps are:
- Separation: the first pre-requisite step is a surgeon well versed with the skills to perform liposuction. The ability to visualise in three dimensions is a fundamental skill to achieve effective body contouring.
- Aspiration: the fat tissue first needs to be properly prepared by the infusion of a solution containing a local anaesthetic and a vasoconstrictor. This reduces pain and discomfort after the procedure and also reduces the risk of bleeding. The fat is softened, thus allowing easier extraction. Special basket cannulas are used to create fat tunnels and this facilitates the spread of the local anaesthetic solution.
- Fat Equalisation: this step uses power-assisted liposuction to aspirate the fat globules with the assistance of a powerful vacuum. This method ensures both blood vessels and the stromal network are not damaged. Traditional forms of liposuction generally use heat during this process, while SAFELipo does not, making it a far safer procedure.
- Agitation: this is the disruption of the fat cells using the vibrating power of the cannula and handpiece without suction. We use special basket cannulas to break up the fat into smaller units. This stage ensures the fat cells are separated from the connective tissue framework, so there is less resistance and tension when it comes to the redistribution stage. Because of this, smaller cannulas are able to be used (about 3mm to 4mm), rather than the larger, thicker ones used in traditional liposuction. Using smaller cannulas reduces the likelihood of bruising and swelling after the procedure and also reduces the risk of uneven results – a key concern of patients considering a liposuction procedure.
- Redistribution: this step helps to increase the longevity of the results. The remaining layer of fat, which has not been removed in previous steps, is equalised with specialised basket cannula probes, without suction. This essentially involves an internal fat grafting process where fat is transferred to other areas without having to be re-injected – an entirely closed process which reduces the risk of infection. This allows the treated area to appear smooth and natural in appearance thus respecting the body’s aesthetic units. Those undergoing liposuction using traditional methods often end up with skin irregularity or unsightly lumps due to internal scar tissue. SAFELipo avoids this, with patients having much higher satisfaction rates and experiencing better results.
The amount of time this procedure takes to complete will vary depending on which area of the body is being treated. Unlike other liposuction methods, SAFELipo can be performed in all the areas of the body applicable to traditional liposuction. The procedure generally takes longer than traditional liposuction because of the structured multistep process as outlined above. However, the extra time required is more than offset by the potential to achieve far superior results when compared with traditional liposuction.
Areas that are commonly treated:
- Upper and lower back
- Upper arms
- Male chest
Your recovery period will vary depending on which areas you had the procedure, and if it was combined with other procedures. Generally, you will be able to return to work in a few days and resume your normal day-to-day routine after two weeks. However, if SAFElipo™ was combined with procedures such as a tummy tuck recovery time will take longer. SAFELipo is combined with TIVA anaesthesia, for the speediest recovery possible.
Excessive sweating treatment
SAFElipo is also considered an effective way to treat excessive sweating. While most people experience sweating, some people will experience sweating to a level that negatively impacts their life. Excessive sweating can often occur in the armpits, hands, feet and groin. SAFElipo is considered to be an effective solution.
SAFElipo works by removing the function of the sweat glands. Patients will be sweat and odour free in the treated area. Sweat will still be produced in areas of the body that have not been treated.
Thermal liposuction and anti-ageing injections are generally considered popular options for resolving excessive sweating. However, there are drawbacks to both of these options. Thermal methods can damage tissues, while anti-ageing injections only offer a temporary solution. SAFElipo offers long-lasting results without damaging tissues.