Labiaplasty surgery, also known as labia minora reduction surgery is a highly effective procedure for addressing the size and shape of the labia menorah. Many women have found their quality of life to be improved significantly as a result of the procedure although given the intimate nature of what a Labiaplasty involves many patients find it difficult to discuss their concerns with a medical professional.
What does labiaplasty surgery involve?
Labiaplasty surgery is designed to reduce and reshape the inner lips of the labia also referred to as the labia minora so that the labia minora can be well concealed by the outer labia majora. Many women find that the labia minora are much larger and may even protrude beyond the margins of the labia majora and for many women, this can be a source of significant psychological and also physical discomfort.
The procedure of labiaplasty is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that can be carried out as an outpatient under a local anaesthetic in the vast majority of cases and is associated with very little in the way of discomfort during the post-operative period It is completely normal to experience a mild to moderate degree of bruising and swelling following the labiaplasty surgery but these side-effects rapidly settle down after 3 to 4 days. Many patients will tell our post-operative nurses that their recovery was actually much smoother than expected and was surprised that the labiaplasty procedure was actually very well tolerated.
For patients with mild to moderate degrees of labia minora enlargement, a local anaesthetic injected into the labia will facilitate a pain-free and comfortable procedure. Patients with larger degrees of labia minora enlargement may prefer to have the procedure under a general anaesthetic. Our expert surgeons will be able to advise you on what could work best for you.
Once the labia has been surgically reduced in size, the surgeon will then use absorbable sutures with no need to have them removed at a post-operative appointment. There are a number of different techniques for performing a labiaplasty including:
- Trim method
- Wedge method
- Depithelialisation method
Why do women choose to have a surgical labiaplasty?
The decision to undertake level reduction surgery is often a very personalised one and women choose to have labiaplasty surgery for many different reasons. For many women, the presence of overly large labia can result in pain or discomfort during everyday activities such as exercise or even just sitting down and may have difficulty applying a tampon. Some women may even have discomfort during sexual intercourse.
The other main reason for seeking labiaplasty surgery is for improving the aesthetic appearance of the labia as many women may find their labia to be a source of aesthetic concern. Over time, many women may develop a lack of self-confidence which may affect their ability to form intimate relationships. Women who have had a labiaplasty carried out for aesthetic reasons often remark on the massive boost in self-confidence the procedure has given them.
If you have been considering having a labia minora reduction or labia majora reduction otherwise known as labiaplasty surgery, you can be assured of receiving the very best treatment with our dedicated female gynaecologist Dr Paraskevi Dimitriadi. Dr Dimitriadi is one of the most experienced labiaplasty surgeons in her field and has carried out in excess of 250 labiaplasty procedures each year.
For further information about the labiaplasty procedure or if you would like to book a consultation with Dr Dimitriadi, please give us a call and speak to one of our friendly and knowledgeable patient coordinators to see how we can help you.
Things to consider before having labiaplasty surgery
We believe that the best outcomes after labiaplasty surgery happen when patients make the right choice of clinic and surgeon.
1. In deciding on the right clinic for you, always carry out extensive research and choose a well-established and reputable clinic. Centre for Surgery are specialists in labiaplasty surgery and have been established for many years. Our patient coordinators and surgeons are here to answer any questions you may have to empower you with the right information.
2. Your choice of surgeon should be based on their qualifications, experience and a record of good patient feedback. You should know who you will be seeing before your consultation. At Centre for Surgery, our doctors are specially selected after a rigorous appointment process to ensure they have the right skill set to perform procedures safely.
3. When choosing to have cosmetic surgery or reconstructive procedure, you should not base your decision on price alone. It is important to make sure you are having treatment in a safe and regulated environment by staff who are both fully trained and caring to look after your needs – before, during and after your procedure.
4. Avoid clinics that offer a ‘hard-sell’. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Ask the surgeon what techniques will be used. Surgeons at Centre for Surgery perform all types of labiaplasty surgery including complex reconstructive surgery of the female genitalia.
We believe patient safety and happy satisfied patients are the bedrock of our reputation as an ethical provider of cosmetic surgery. Our doctors are known for giving straightforward and honest advice and you can be assured that your journey with Centre for Surgery will be a positive experience on the path to renewed self-confidence.