Brow lift surgery, also known as a forehead lift, brings about a more youthful and revitalised appearance to the face by properly repositioning the drooping eyebrows and getting rid of frown lines that may appear on the forehead which occur with the ageing process. This is a very common cosmetic procedure undertaken by Centre for Surgery for women and men generally over the age of forty. There are different types of brow lift procedure which are tailored to the individual patient depending on whether asymmetry is involved and if there is also drooping of the upper eyelid skin.
A brow appearance that looks depressed or recessed or even a fatigued appearance means that brow lift surgery could be the solution to your needs, Brow asymmetry can also be corrected with a brow lift procedure. A depressed brow can also give rise to ptosis of the upper eyelids. Brow lift can also be performed alongside complementary procedures to rejuvenate the upper half of the face. Procedures include blepharoplasty and midface lift.
What can a brow lift achieve?
Brow lift surgery can achieve the following desirable effects:
- The level of the brows can be lifted creating a more youthful appearance
- Thick-set brows corrected to rejuvenate the face
- Brow asymmetry can be corrected easily
- Low brows can be corrected to optimise the position of the upper eyelids
- Reducing wrinkle formation on the forehead – a more durable and robust solution to forehead wrinkles than anti-wrinkle injections
- Reducing frown lines between the eyebrows
- Brow lift surgery is personalised to each patient and utilises the artistry and finesse of the facial plastic surgeon in crafting an appearance which gives optimum aesthetic outcomes.
Am I the right person to have a brow lift?
A brow lift is suitable for people who:
- Have thick set eyebrows that they are wanting to be raised
- Experience brow asymmetry
- Have wrinkles on the forehead that they are looking to reduce
- Want to reduce frown lines
- Want a more youthful, refreshed appearance
Suitable candidates will have to be physically and mentally healthy, as well as have realistic expectations of what the procedure can achieve.
How is a brow lift performed?
Brow lift surgery can be performed in a number of ways. Different techniques are used depending on the type of brow appearance. Centre for Surgery employ personalised treatment plans tailored to your unique needs and preferences. A number of variables must be taken into consideration such as brow position, age, tissue thickness and facial shape. The different types of surgery you may want to consider include:
- Traditional brow lift: The traditional Brow lift involves making a high incision just above the hairline and lifting the forehead area, hairline and brow in an upward direction. It is an ideal technique for female patients. For those with minimal hair thinning, it is an effective way for your surgeon to address moderate to major brow drooping. The advantage of this technique is that incisions are not made on the forehead and the scar is well hidden by hair.
- Male brow lift: The male brow lift is named because it works particularly well for men. An incision is made which closely follows the length of the individual eyebrow. The forehead is able to be smoothed out and made tighter. This technique can benefit those with male pattern baldness because the direction of pull is downwards not upwards. This, therefore, brings the hairline forward. Any scars can be well concealed by the eyebrow hair.
- Minimally invasive brow lift: Minimally invasive brow lift is employed with men with highly visible forehead creases. The incision is performed along the forehead crease and lifts the eyebrows to the level which is preferred by the patient. Any asymmetry can be addressed and the shape of the eyebrows can be finely tuned according to the patients’ desires. The incision is much shorter compared to the traditional brow lift and can therefore sometimes be done under local anaesthesia with light sedation.
- Endoscopic brow lift: Endoscopic brow lift is a minimally invasive procedure performed with only 3 small incisions made just above the hairline. There is a higher risk of nerve injury with this technique and the degree of correction is not as significant when compared with the other techniques. Centre for Surgery does not, therefore, offer the endoscopic brow lift procedure.
Brow lift can be performed alongside the following procedures:
- Blepharoplasty – upper and lower for lifting the eyelids
- Mid-Facelift to raise the facial structures in the middle third of the face
Brow lift with blepharoplasty can correct the aged and loose hanging appearance of the soft tissues of the upper face. Anti wrinkle injections can be used for purely wrinkles and fine lines of the forehead. After brow lift surgery, anti-wrinkle injections are often used to enhance the final results.
How long will recovery take?
A brow lift compression garment will be applied after the surgery. Some side effects to note will be bruising and swelling which is most evident after a couple of days. Gym activity should be avoided for at least two weeks to reduce the risk of further swelling developing. Most patients can return to office-based work after a few days. Our medical team will telephone you the day after your surgery to monitor your recovery and you will be reviewed by the surgeon one week later.
Should I get a brow lift or have eyelid surgery?
The two procedures of brow lift and blepharoplasty can address different issues associated with the facial ageing process:
- A brow lift will lift the eyebrows to their former elevated position based on patient preference, creating a rejuvenated look.
- Vertical frown musculature can also be surgically treated at the time of brow lift, minimising the vertical lines between the eyebrows.
- Redundant upper eyelid skin and prominent fat pads can be addressed with blepharoplasty at the same time as a brow lift procedure.
- Loose skin and dropping of the upper eyelid regions can be treated with upper blepharoplasty as an isolated procedure or may require a brow lift.
Interested in having a brow lift or any other face surgery? Centre for Surgery currently offers brow lifts. Contact us today to get more information or book a consultation.